Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I Bruise Like a Peach




Meaning:
A peach often develops a bruise very easily, just from a little touch. It's the same meaning for a person. If they get a little bump on the arm, they often develop a bruise.
A peach discolors when it is handled roughly. Because peach flesh is soft, it is easily bruised. To bruise like a peach is to quickly and pointedly bruise.

Origin:
The quote "But, but... I bruise like a peach!" is from legendary 80s Van Damme kickbox-a-thon “Bloodsport“, though curiously it has not been deemed a memorable quote by the powers-that-be at IMDB.

Sources:
http://www.englishforums.com/English/BruiseLikeAPeach/vqjqv/post.htm
http://hideyourarms.com/2006/05/24/but-but-i-bruise-like-a-peach/
http://www.ipt.us.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/peach-bruise.jpg

1 comment:

Miss Cole said...

It's so funny you put this on the blog today because I totally said this about myself today. I even have a bruise on my leg that is the size of a peach to prove it!